Need Help?

Need professional advice for your consent to let with Scottish Building Society? There are various implications when it comes to letting out your property with an existing residential mortgage - you should seek professional assistance.

Scottish Building Society consent to let: Q and A’s

  • My brother is intent on letting his apartment out on the QT without consent to let from his mortgage lender Scottish Building Society. He has been on an interest only loan for about five years now. Outstanding amount is £112k, having bought the flat for around £118k. In the absence of getting consent to let from Scottish Building Society, exactly what sanctions is he likely to face?
  • I plan to relocate to another property, I have been at my current house for fifteen months. Is there a minimum time to spend at a property before Scottish Building Society will give a consent to let?
  • In 2001 I was issued with permission by the local council and my mortgage provider Scottish Building Society to convert a small barn into a granny annex, conditional on it not being sold separately from the main property. My parents passed away some years ago and I would now like to rent it out with consent to let from Scottish Building Society. Do you think this will be possible?
  • Last month I got married and my wife and I would like to purchase a family home in the coming year, whilst keeping our two bedroom first floor purpose built flat in Southwark we currently live in to rent out. Mortgage on the flat is with Scottish Building Society. I don't want to put myself in a situation with two residential properties and then be refused consent to let.
  • My wife and I are planning to move to Australia for eighteen months for my job but I don't want to switch the mortgage to BTL as I want to move back into it when I return. Do you know if Scottish Building Society charges additional interest? Is there any way around this?
  • The prevailing mortgage is with Scottish Building Society, but I will soon to need move out for about a year as we need to be nearer to my wife’s mum and dad. Will Scottish Building Society issue consent to let?
  • I own a leasehold flat. I would like remortgage with Scottish Building Society and seek consent to let. I'm still inside the Early Redemption Charge period so not sure if I would need to pay that?
  • What happens if I have already rented out the property for a number of years as an HMO and now wish to go legit with Scottish Building Society by getting consent to let ? (work on the basis that Scottish Building Society had already granted a residential mortgage previously)